Monday, January 08, 2007

kindness of a stranger

You Are a Life Blogger!

Your blog is the story of your life - a living diary.
If it happens, you blog it. And make it as entertaining as possible.


LOL that's interesting! I guess I am kind of a "life blogger" :)

Here is today's DSP prompt.

Describe a time when you have benefitted from the kindness of a stranger.

I was living in Daejon, South Korea, in 2003, teaching at Kids Herald School. I decided that I wanted to purchase a bicycle for myself, as my other two roommates both had bikes and I could see the benefits of owning one in the city. So, one day back in August after my work day was finished, I went to a bicycle store with one of my Korean co-workers. The woman at the bike shop couldn't speak any English, but she was pleasant, and with the help of my co-worker, I selected a beautiful red bicycle, with a white basket in the front.

I walked my new bike back to the bus stop with my co-worker, chatting along the way. Then, as she proceeded to get on the bus, I decided to ride my bicycle the rest of the way to my apartment. It wasn't that far, just down the street from where I was. However, I was wearing a rather long broomstick skirt at the time (you may remember that look from the 1990's, mine was purchased back when I was in high school at a time when they were actually in style) However, I decided to try and ride back in spite of this. Well, I was on my bike and doing fine, until I got to the middle of the road. I was going across on the cross walk, and in Korea, most of the time the bikers ride across, which is what I was doing. All of a sudden, I felt a tug on the back wheel of the bike. I couldn't move!!!! I looked back and my skirt was caught in the spokes! Then, the traffic light changed and cars were headed right for me!!!! So, I picked up my bike and high-tailed it to the other side.

I examined the damage, the skirt was wedged in tightly into the spokes, and there was a huge rip in the fabric. I sat there, struggling, trying to free myself, but to no avail. Finally, a kind Korean stopped and asked what the problem was. I gestured towards my skirt, indicating my predicament. He was nice enough to stop, bend down and help me out by freeing the torn remains of my skirt from the spokes. I thanked him very much, I was so relieved that someone had come by to help me! Imagine me, in a foreign city, not being able to speak the language, having only been here about 2 weeks prior. I had no idea what I was going to do if he had not stopped to help me.

Then, I found myself in another predicament. My skirt was torn so badly, it fell down to my ankles, and I found it very difficult to push my bike and hold my skirt up at the same time. So, again, he came to my rescue and pushed my bike for me back to my apartment. He was with his family and told them to go on ahead.

I have no idea who he was, but he was a stranger who showed kindness when I needed it!

Now for some more LOs with kits by Alma's ScrapHabit Designs.
Journaling reads:

My name is Paula and I am from Nova Scotia, Canada. I am a member of Alma’s ScrapHabit Design CT. I started digiscrapping about a year ago as a creative way to design my daughter’s baby book. It didn’t take long for me to become absolutely hooked! I love how creative I become when I design a layout. I enjoy trying new techniques and participating in challenges. Digiscrapping is not just a hobby - it’s a passion!

This is one of my best friends and her boyfriend while they were on their trip to China.

Kit for both LOs is Alma's Love Letters Page Set by Alma's ScrapHabit Designs @ SBE.


This picture was taken on Mother's Day 2006. Journaling reads:

Little girls love to dress up in pretty ribbons and bows. Dancing in their dresses with fine shoes on their feet.

Kit is Alma's Baby Doll Page Set by Alma's ScrapHabit Designs
I did this for a friend of mine. Journalling reads:
Maternal love, like an orange tree, buds and blossoms and bears at once. When a woman puts her finger for the first time into the tiny hand of her baby and feels that helpless clutch which tightens her very heartstrings, she is born again with her newborn child. Kate Douglas Wiggin

Kit is Alma's Little Guy Page Set by Alma's ScrapHabit Designs @ SBE

3 Comments:

Blogger Glynis said...

Beautiful layouts and I loved your story. I can just see it all..you tell a great story!

10:58 p.m.  
Blogger Melanie said...

You DO tell a great story.. I agree with glynis, BEAUTIFUL layouts!

9:34 a.m.  
Blogger Amy said...

I remember that story! Wow! How nice was that man! :)

10:36 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Credits : Blog Banner template by Jennilyn Designs Kit is Falling For You by Elemental Scraps Element Team